Thread Contributor: XingsoraNew Player Experience
[color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]A server with a big learning curve like this tends to have a problem keeping new players, so making the experience a bit friendlier to noobs helps retention & experience.

Something unintended i think is that mobs can enter telaria and attack players - i myself was attacked by a wind spirit while in telaria while i still had nothing but my gems. hope that's on the list

Also, as for the nauru quests, the locations are obscure and it's very difficult to find the quest locations
- missions like delivering the crate to fort nauru are essential to playing on the server, but fort nauru itself is extremely difficult to find; so far, i have not seen anyone find it on their own without any help & even though it is possible, i doubt many people would try that hard for a server they just joined. (i myself would personally have left if Asymphir wasn't there to help) perhaps coordinates/more accurate descriptions can help.
[/color][color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)](edit[/color]

(posted in discord)
(02-21-2018, 10:35 AM)Xingsora Wrote: [color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]A server with a big learning curve like this tends to have a problem keeping new players, so making the experience a bit friendlier to noobs helps retention & experience.

Something unintended i think is that mobs can enter telaria and attack players - i myself was attacked by a wind spirit while in telaria while i still had nothing but my gems. hope that's on the list

Also, as for the nauru quests, the locations are obscure and it's very difficult to find the quest locations
- missions like delivering the crate to fort nauru are essential to playing on the server, but fort nauru itself is extremely difficult to find; so far, i have not seen anyone find it on their own without any help & even though it is possible, i doubt many people would try that hard for a server they just joined. (i myself would personally have left if Asymphir wasn't there to help) perhaps coordinates/more accurate descriptions can help.
[/color][color=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2)](edit[/color]

(posted in discord)

Thanks for the feedback! Always appreciated.

You're right that mobs being able to enter Telaria is unintended - NPC towns are meant to be safe zones for players (both from PVP and PVE, unless on certain quests) so this is a bug we'll need to fix.

As far as including coordinates in certain location quests, we've actually gotten similar feedback in the past, so we may end up incorporating this for certain early quests (like the Nauru ones.) The server does have a learning curve, but you're right that we want to be a bit friendlier in easing new players into the server difficulty. I think adding coordinates for the Nauru (and maybe Telaria) quests may be something we add to those journal entries.
I agree that the learning curve for some things is a bit steep. 

I think for the most part the quests aren't to difficult. I like the challenge. Some are extremely vague, like finding that guys cave south of Telaria. That's all the help they give you. Maybe instead of just throwing coordinates out there, you get more help during the quest. Like talking to the towns people during the quest no one mentions anything about the cave. Saying a cave is south of a city is extremely broad. Granted it's not the most difficult thing to find, but it took me longer than I would like to admit lol. So far though there hasn't been a quest I haven't been able to complete (that's not bugged). 

Or another suggestion would be to update your wiki with more information. So far I find it lacking in almost every category. The only benefit to the wiki is it shows you what specific features are on the server. With no information. I get that "Knowledge is power" but to an extent. Don't give out all the recipes, but maybe the guide lines on how to use the skill. You might counter with "We have starter quests for those skill lines" Well not for brewery, unless I wasn't able to find it. Fletching it just tells you what to do really quick. After you complete a quest though you can't repeat any conversation with them so if you forgot what to do you're SOL unless you ask for help. My suggestion is that for each skill you 1. Show how to make the required item (ie: how to make a tannery, which most of the skills have except a few) 2. Beginning recipes (whether it's just restating what you learned during the quest). 
"To craft smeltery arrows, hold a Fletchery Knife in your main hand, and right click a crafting table. Here, you'll be able to create custom arrows and bows!"
That's all the information you give. Maybe it's because I'm a casual, or I've never really dealt with these kinds of mods before, but I have no idea even where to begin.

Also the map isn't complete either. You can click on each zone, but the only zones with information are Nauru and the Plains of An'she. This is huge for a new player trying to figure out where they want to settle. I probably would have settled in a different location if I knew I couldn't grow potatoes there.

The wiki and map are the first things players are going to check out, and I feel like having them incomplete gives a bad image to the server. Personally I feel like these are extremely quick fixes that would instantly help new members get their bearings on the server. 

I'm all for player interaction, and wanting players to trade with each other and communicate, but you need to balance it out. Overall I love the server and I'm excited for the future of it.
(02-21-2018, 12:47 PM)Gawst Wrote: I agree that the learning curve for some things is a bit steep. 

I think for the most part the quests aren't to difficult. I like the challenge. Some are extremely vague, like finding that guys cave south of Telaria. That's all the help they give you. Maybe instead of just throwing coordinates out there, you get more help during the quest. Like talking to the towns people during the quest no one mentions anything about the cave. Saying a cave is south of a city is extremely broad. Granted it's not the most difficult thing to find, but it took me longer than I would like to admit lol. So far though there hasn't been a quest I haven't been able to complete (that's not bugged). 

Or another suggestion would be to update your wiki with more information. So far I find it lacking in almost every category. The only benefit to the wiki is it shows you what specific features are on the server. With no information. I get that "Knowledge is power" but to an extent. Don't give out all the recipes, but maybe the guide lines on how to use the skill. You might counter with "We have starter quests for those skill lines" Well not for brewery, unless I wasn't able to find it. Fletching it just tells you what to do really quick. After you complete a quest though you can't repeat any conversation with them so if you forgot what to do you're SOL unless you ask for help. My suggestion is that for each skill you 1. Show how to make the required item (ie: how to make a tannery, which most of the skills have except a few) 2. Beginning recipes (whether it's just restating what you learned during the quest). 
"To craft smeltery arrows, hold a Fletchery Knife in your main hand, and right click a crafting table. Here, you'll be able to create custom arrows and bows!"
That's all the information you give. Maybe it's because I'm a casual, or I've never really dealt with these kinds of mods before, but I have no idea even where to begin.

Also the map isn't complete either. You can click on each zone, but the only zones with information are Nauru and the Plains of An'she. This is huge for a new player trying to figure out where they want to settle. I probably would have settled in a different location if I knew I couldn't grow potatoes there.

The wiki and map are the first things players are going to check out, and I feel like having them incomplete gives a bad image to the server. Personally I feel like these are extremely quick fixes that would instantly help new members get their bearings on the server. 

I'm all for player interaction, and wanting players to trade with each other and communicate, but you need to balance it out. Overall I love the server and I'm excited for the future of it.

To answer your brewery one we plan on adding a quest for brewer. Keep in mind that brewer is not our plugin, but rather a third party plugin used on many servers. As such a good chunk of the community seems to know the plugin so we were slow to get around to that. The map does need to be updated, but I believe we are about to do a website overhaul in general so stay tuned?  As for the wiki not being updated this has been an issue for some time but not because we don't pay attention to it, but rather as we fix,update,m or rework things the wiki needing to be updated accordingly keeps pushed aside so that other bugs and such may be worked on. Thank you for the feedback for sure!
Free bump to show my wiki post