Forums
How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Printable Version

+- Forums (https://forums.mc-atlas.com)
+-- Forum: Atlas Forum (https://forums.mc-atlas.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Suggestions (https://forums.mc-atlas.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) (/showthread.php?tid=379)

How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Kypen - 06-10-2018

Let's get straight to the point. Cooking will be a mix-and-match sort of deal. There should be stuff like salt, onions, condiments that you can craft to add to them. Introducing new plant/food items that you can grow would be awesome too.

Here's why: I think Cooking should be a create your own dish type of deal and you can name your own dishes. (Baking was not taken into consideration for Cooking, possibly use a similar process as well?)

How it might work: There are Main Components and Sub Components of food. The Main Component might be Chicken, Beef, Leaves, etc. Each dish can only have up to 3 Main Components. The Sub Components are the "modifiers" of the dish, such as salt, peppers, chili, sugar, ketchup, etc etc. These can bring special effects such as brief Nausea (too sour), Blindness (too spicy), Speed (too sweet) etc etc.

The actual Process:
To begin you need to make any type of cooking utensil (spatulas, ladles, etc.) and a stove/grill/fryer. Similar to fletchery you have your utensil equipped while clicking the special block which would bring up a UI that lets you add stuff. There can be a slot where you add your clock to the UI before you start cooking or you might keep it in there. Hovering over it shows how long it's been cooking and you can change what temperature it is at or view the temperature it's currently heating up to. You can click a "Preparation"/"Cook" button which switches the UI between one which allows you to add Sub Components and the actual "cooking" process. (This UI can also be triggered after cooking to prepare the dish as well, i.e. add onions and other things). Finally when you're done click another button that says "Complete Dish" and select from the head database what your food item looks like and name your food item.

Regarding Coding:
I don't have a clue how to code but here's my idea: The coding might go something like defining how much of your hungry each Main Component feeds you for, Sub Components added on can be set as modifiers that are just added on I guess. The Sub Components would also need to code for if anything is "too extreme" of a taste - 2-3 of the same Sub Component could be the marker for the special effects. Food without special effects could return more hunger. The UI stuff shouldn't be too complicated for new users.

Then again, all of this is pretty annoying to add in... Oh well

RE: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Adara_ - 06-11-2018

sounds interesting, not sure how this would work texture wise without possibly hundreds of textures but it could be possible

RE: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Kypen - 06-11-2018

(06-11-2018, 12:07 AM)Adara_ Wrote: sounds interesting, not sure how this would work texture wise without possibly hundreds of textures but it could be possible

"Finally when you're done click another button that says "Complete Dish" and select from the head database what your food item looks like and name your food item."

(06-11-2018, 01:18 AM)Kypen Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 12:07 AM)Adara_ Wrote: sounds interesting, not sure how this would work texture wise without possibly hundreds of textures but it could be possible

"Finally when you're done click another button that says "Complete Dish" and select from the head database what your food item looks like and name your food item."

head textures, hundreds of head textures (almost all of which I'd probably end up making)...
it'd be much better if we could figure out how to copy certain parts of a head and have the plugin "make" a head.

RE: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Iyoforeayo - 06-11-2018

Some very cool ideas in here! Actually a few I've had myself, but articulated quite well here (utensils similar to Fletchery tools, etc.) Definitely would be neat to be able to add new crops and food types to work with, but that all depends on what we are able to customize and code.

One of the difficult parts with potential mechanics like this, is actually determining the specific benefits to each of these items. Sure you can have special foods give increased Hunger or Saturation, or other vanilla potion effects - but there are a finite number of "perks" you can assign to custom items before they start to overlap. Then it's a short road to finding the cooking meta that best aids in PvP, and then suddenly "it makes 0 sense to go into battle unless you have a stack of Garlic Mashed Potatoes!"

So I'm curious to hear what you guys think of uses for the Cooking skill outside of the typical "potion effects" perks. Maybe specialty cooked foods can be sold to shops, and the rarer the dish is, the higher it sells for? Or maybe Cooking could be a "leaderboard" type mechanic, where there is a visible list (website/embassy/etc.) that displays the nations or players who have discovered the most recipes? Just spitballing here, but you get the idea. Of course we can always have foods give certain positive/negative potion effects as well - just want to see what other ideas there are as we design this mechanic.

As always, appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

RE: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Kypen - 06-11-2018

(06-11-2018, 09:30 AM)Adara_ Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 01:18 AM)Kypen Wrote:

head textures, hundreds of head textures (almost all of which I'd probably end up making)...
it'd be much better if we could figure out how to copy certain parts of a head and have the plugin "make" a head.
Oof nvm I thought you could use that one plugin that has a head database already my bad

lol it's oke

RE: How the Cooking Skill Should work (IMO) - Sttooz - 06-13-2018

(06-11-2018, 10:30 AM)Iyoforeayo Wrote: Some very cool ideas in here! Actually a few I've had myself, but articulated quite well here (utensils similar to Fletchery tools, etc.) Definitely would be neat to be able to add new crops and food types to work with, but that all depends on what we are able to customize and code.

One of the difficult parts with potential mechanics like this, is actually determining the specific benefits to each of these items. Sure you can have special foods give increased Hunger or Saturation, or other vanilla potion effects - but there are a finite number of "perks" you can assign to custom items before they start to overlap. Then it's a short road to finding the cooking meta that best aids in PvP, and then suddenly "it makes 0 sense to go into battle unless you have a stack of Garlic Mashed Potatoes!"

So I'm curious to hear what you guys think of uses for the Cooking skill outside of the typical "potion effects" perks. Maybe specialty cooked foods can be sold to shops, and the rarer the dish is, the higher it sells for? Or maybe Cooking could be a "leaderboard" type mechanic, where there is a visible list (website/embassy/etc.) that displays the nations or players who have discovered the most recipes? Just spitballing here, but you get the idea. Of course we can always have foods give certain positive/negative potion effects as well - just want to see what other ideas there are as we design this mechanic.

As always, appreciate the feedback and suggestions!

Part of what makes a nation is the culture behind it. Maybe players could set up a "serving table" in their town (one per town) that would provide a small amount of gems based on the amount of recipes they've discovered/served there. It would be a way to simulate tourism into the various locations. I can see the issue of "couldn't someone just make a bunch of garbage towns dotted around with a serving table in each", but we could have the players only choose to serve specific recipes or that they have a limit of serving tables in their nation/ based on their population. The gem amount gained would most likely be quite small, but depending on the quantity and quality of food served they might be able to earn more.